Tips For E-Mail Marketing In E-Commerce – Personalization
Published on 18 January 2019 | Author Lisa Marie Lindemann0
E-Commerce is booming. During the last years, the developments in the industry have only known one direction: up! And sales growth continues unabated, so that e-commerce sales in Germany in 2017 had an amount up to 48.7 billion euros, which corresponds to 13.22 percent of total retail sales – also the highest value measured so far. In this blog post series we present 12 tips for email marketing in e-commerce. This time: Personalization!
Email marketing remains the central pillar of almost every marketing mix. What is successful now, however, does not have to be successful in the future. The time of broadcasting communication (one newsletter at a time to all users) is over. Personalization is the order of the day. With the right data and the right technology, even real one-to-one communication can be achieved. Thereby, each user receives his own communication. Basically, every factor in email marketing can be individualized. Typical elements are:
- The used channels: Email may be the central instrument in digital dialogue marketing of e-commerce providers, but especially in mobile contexts some customers may prefer to be addressed via app, SMS, or messenger.
- Timing and frequency: How often would you like to contact the customer? At what times is it most likely that he responds?
- Texts: Long or short? A formal or casual addressing? Reference to interests or previous contacts?
- Graphics: What kind of visual language does the customer react to?
- Offers: What brands or product categories are preferred by the customer? Are there suitable cross-sells for past orders? Which offers suit the hobbies, interests and attitudes of the customer?
- Prices: How much is the customer willing to pay for a certain offer? Is he more price-sensitive and looking for special offers?
Use the possibilities resulting from the establishment of a self-service center for personalization. Nobody (not even by testing and collected data) knows better what the individual customer likes than the customer himself. In the Self-Service Center, among other things, they can determine what content they are interested in, how they want to be addressed, and in what frequency they want to be contacted (see point 4: Self-Service Center).
To derive personalized communication from purchasing and tracking data, technology in the form of advanced marketing automation solutions, recommendation engines or data analytics applications with Next Best Offer functions are necessary. Mailings and newsletters can often be configured very easily here.
Download Checklist For Free
In our checklist “12 tips for email marketing in e-commerce” we have compiled tips to help you improve your email marketing activities in both the short and long term. Please fill out the form to receive the free download.